Area of Specialisation
History of Modern China and East Asia (18th to 20th centuries) with specialisations in social history, comparative and transnational history.
Education / Qualifications
– Doctorate of Philosophy, FU Berlin (1998)
– Dissertation topic: Power and Resistance in the German Colony Kiaochow in China, 1897-1914 („summa cum laude“)
– Master of Arts, FU Berlin (1993)
– Thesis topic: Images of Women and Cultural Memory in Late Imperial China: A Study of the Novel Shuihu zhuan (“sehr gut”)
– Chinese Language Proficiency Test, Taiwan Normal University (1990)
– Abitur, Humanistisches Theresiengymnasium, München (1984)
– Diploma from German secondary school qualifying for university admission or matriculation
– 5/2010- Chair Professor of Chinese History and Culture, FU Berlin
– 8/2007- 4/2010 Professor of History and adjunct Professor of East Asian Languages and Cultures, Indiana University, Bloomington, USA.
– 8/2004- 7/2007 Professor for Contemporary Chinese and Asian History, Department of Contemporary History, University of Turku, Finland
– 8/2002- 7/2004 University of California, Berkeley; visiting fellow at the Center for Chinese Studies
– 12/1998-7/2002 FU Berlin, Department of Sinology Wissenschaftlicher Assistent
– 1/1993-11/1998 FU Berlin, Department of Sinology, Wissenschaftlicher Mitarbeiter
Research Grants and Awards
– Co-Speaker, Graduate School for East Asian Studies, DFG Excellence Initiative, 2013-2018
– Grant from the American Council of Learned Societies, funded by the Chiang Ching-kuo Foundation for International Scholarly Exchange: “From the Exploitation of China to Chinese-Foreign Economic Interaction: Towards a New Understanding of Business History in China from the First Opium War to the Beginning of the Second World War”.
– DFG General Research Grant: Political Change and Refugee Crisis: The Transformation of Governance Institutions in China, 1945-1957, 2012-2014
– DFG General Research Grant: The May 4th Movement in Global History, 2011-2014, 2011-2013.
– John K. Fairbank Prize in East Asian History 2009 for « Criminal Justice in China – A History », American Historical Association
– Research Grant, Academy of Finland, NGO’s, Charities, and the Multilayered Relationships between State and Society in 20th Century Tianjin, 2007-2009
– Conference Funding NordForsk (Nordic Council of Ministers) for “Asian Studies at a Turning Point ?”, 2006.
– Joel Toivola Foundation, Helsinki, for Symposium on the History of Criminal Justice in China, 2005.
– Research Grant Turku University Foundation, “Governance in Spaces of Limited Statehood: Treaty Ports and Harbor Colonies in China” 2005
– Research Grant, Hong Kong Baptist University « Cultural Mediators between two Worlds: Chinese Germanists and the German Sinologists in the Inter-War Years”, together with Professor Ricardo Mak, 2002-2004
– Fellowship (Forschungsstipendium), German National Science Foundation (DFG), Bonn, The History of Criminal Justice in China, 2002-2004
– Joachim Tiburtius Award of the Berlin Senate for the Dissertation: Rule and Resistance in Kiaochow, 1999
Membership in learned or professional societies
– Associate in Research, Fairbank Centre for Chinese Studies, Harvard University
– Association of Asian Studies
– Deutschen Vereinigung für Chinastudien e.V.
– American Historical Association
– Deutschen Gesellschaft für Asienkunde
– Deutscher Hochschulverband
– 10/2010-Coordinator, DAAD Zentrum fur Deutschlandstudien, Peking University
– 7/2008- 7/2010 Executive Committee, East Asian Studies Center, Indiana University / Undergraduate Affairs Committee, Department of History, Indiana University / Chair, Asian History Field, Dept. of History.
– 1/2006- 7/2007 Director, Centre for East Asian Studies, University of Turku
– 1/2006- 7/2007 Director of the Graduate School of Contemporary Asian Studies, University of Turku / Director, Finnish University Network for Asian Studies
Service to the Profession
– Referee of Manuscripts
Periodicals: Journal of Asian Studies, The International History Review, Journal of Criminal Justice, Late Imperial China, Journal of Imperial and Commonwealth History, New Zealand Journal of Asian Studies, Twentieth Century China, Modern Asian Studies, Frontiers of Chinese History, EU-Asia Law Journal.
Publishers: University of California Press, Curzon-Routledge, Ashgate Publishing
American Historical Review; Berliner China-Hefte
– External Examiner for Dissertations
University of Konstanz, Baptist University of Hong Kong, University of Jyvaskyla.
– External Reviewer for Tenure and Promotion Cases
University of Michigan, University of North Texas, University of Toronto, University of Hong Kong, University of Helsinki, University of Erfurt.
– Organized Conferences and Panels (selected)
Workshop: The Formation of Modern Knowledge Systems in 20th-Century China (Beijing 2012)
Conference: Gesellschaftliche Entwicklung und Verfassung in China (Berlin 2012)
Conference: 1911- 2011: Revolution and its Legacy in China (Berlin 2011);
American Historical Association (2009, 2010, 2011),
Asian Studies at the Crossroads (Turku 2007);
AAS (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011),
Workshop: China in Historical Perspective (Turku 2005);
Internationalization of China in cooperation with W.C. Kirby (Harvard University) and Mechthild Leutner (Free University Berlin); organization of several conferences: 2000 (Cambridge, Mass.); 2001 (Berlin), 2005 (Peking).